Article by Brandon Langlois with the University Of Arkansas
Posted on August 12, 2017
FAYETTEVILLE, Arkansas. – The first three weekends of Arkansas’ preseason football camp are in the books.
The Razorbacks went through their second scrimmage Saturday inside Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium before Fan Day from 2:30 to 5 p.m.
Here’s are Saturday’s notes, top plays and takeaways:
• Junior wide receiver Jonathan Nance continued to have a solid camp, hauling in a 40-yard back-shoulder pass down the sideline from redshirt freshman quarterback Cole Kelley.
• Redshirt freshman wide receiver Jordan Jones continued to flash his big-play ability on a 60-yard pass from senior quarterback Austin Allen.
• Sophomore running back Devwah Whaley ripped off a couple of 15-yard runs early in the day. He later added a 20-yard reception from sophomore quarterback Ty Storey and also punched in a 2-yard touchdown run.
• Freshman running back Chase Hayden continued to showcase his speed and quickness, breaking off multiple runs of 10 or more yards on the day.
• Sophomore receivers Deon Stewart and La’Michael Pettway caught passes for first downs from Allen. Stewart later moved the chains with receptions of 32 and 28 yards from Kelley.
• Redshirt freshman wide receiver Tobias Enlow went up over a defender and grabbed a 35-yard reception from Kelly.
• Freshman defensive back Kamren Curl made a nice tackle against the first-team offense on third down and later came away with a highlight-reel interception.
• Junior defensive back Santos Ramirez had a nice pass breakup up on a third-down play.
• Junior defensive back Ryan Pulley also broke up a big pass intended for freshman wide receiver Koilan Jackson. However, Jackson did catch have a 26-yard reception on third down about 10 plays later.
• During red-zone work, Allen scored on a keeper from 10-yards out.
• Junior kicker Cole Hedlund converted field goal attempts of 22 and 25 yards in the red zone.
• Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Lindsey found Jarrod Barnes for gains of 15 and 40 yards.
• Will Gragg caught a 4-yard touchdown pass from Lindsey.
• Sophomore defensive lineman McTelvin Agim, redshirt freshman defensive linemen Jonathan Marshall and Dylan Hays, redshirt freshman linebacker Grant Morgan and sophomore defensive lineman T.J. Smith each recorded a sack during the second half of the scrimmage.
• Saturday’s scrimmage ended with a field goal shootout between Hedlund, sophomore Connor Limpert, and freshman Blake Mazza. Hedlund converted attempts of 38, 43 and 48 yards. Mazza connected on attempts from 33 and 43 yards.
The Razorbacks will return Monday to the outdoor practice fields at the Fred W. Smith Football Center.